Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Little Things


This morning, I received a note from someone I've never 'met' who said she liked my work (I'm always happy to hear that!) and also mentioned that roses are very spiritual creations.  Her name is Cindy, and she probably has little idea of how her note touched me.   She took a little time to send a little note to someone whom she didn't know.   Yet, it truly IS the little things that sometimes matter most.


You may remember my sharing this before on my old blog.  Someone somewhere needs to read it today, so here it is again.


While I was trying to find my way toward recovery from the brain dents, I began to paint. Roses had some connection to 'somewhere' that I couldn't really identify and thus began my spiritual journey. Someone gave me a little note card with St. Theresa's prayer and that prayer gave words to many of my feelings: bad things may happen but God gave us the tools to handle them -- if we quiet our minds to listen and find the path offered to us.

May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that
has been given to you....
May you be content knowing you are a child of God....
Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.


I cannot tell you how many times the words and feelings in St. Theresa's prayer calmed me!

The hardest lesson of all -- for me -- has been learning to accept a different Life and capabilities than what I anticipated, and to accept that I wouldn't, couldn't and won't know all the answers I've sought.  The phrase ". . .allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love" is very powerful because it reassures that we still CAN sing and dance in the face of challenges. 

So, I offer up a prayer -- a song of thanksgiving -- for the person who sent me St. Theresa's prayer, and for Cindy for reminding me of the power of reaching out and doing the "little things" that remind us we are all connected and not alone.  And, that is the power in each of us.

May today be your day to discover "the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love."

Blessings,
Sheryl





5 comments:

  1. Sheryl, thank you so much for sharing! I need to remember this next time I get down. You, as those you've mentioned, have touched lives, too :) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured out what to do to post. This is a most lovely post. I'm glad my little note touched you, I don't usually do things like that but felt compelled to do so. And thus, we blessed each other, and those who are in need of it. Thank you for the prayer, I have copied and printed it to carry with me. Thank you so much. Cindy Otte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, I'm glad you were able to post -- thank you for that. And, you were right; I've received notes from others -- in particular, someone who said her family member needed to hear those words -- and I feel happy and thankful to be the voice for a peaceful heart; I hope that makes sense.

    Again, thank you for contacting me. ((hugs)) and blessings.

    ReplyDelete